Saturday, April 17, 2010

Snow Day!

We had the weirdest winter this year. Not only was it incredibly cold, but it snowed more than I have ever seen it before in Texas, and we had so much fun! Our first encounter with the winter weather was on Christmas Eve. We went to church in the early afternoon and it was just sort of dreary outside. Then in the middle of the service, we started to see some little flurries out of the windows at the top of the church. Then, when we left the building at the end, it was coming down in big white flakes and it was beautiful! I've never seen any kind of white Christmas, so we were pretty excited. Little did we know that we would be seeing much more of that wintry weather.

The next batch was the mother load. It was a few weeks later, the day before I had a test and we woke up to huge white flakes and it was showing signs of sticking. Mark had some fun outside before he left for work. It was early and I was still in my pj's, but he didn't hesitate to throw a few snowballs at me.





I was studying inside all day, but I left the shades drawn so I could watch the snow fall. I slowly watched our parking lot fill up.



About mid-day, I saw our upstairs neighbors outside making a snow-woman, so I joined them! They had previously lived up north, so this wasn't too out of the ordinary for them. We named our snow-woman Petunia.



That night, there was no sign of the snow stopping and they were calling it a record for DFW already. The next morning, we woke up to Narnia!!



I had to be at school pretty early to take my test, needless to say this whole snow storm was the biggest distraction ever from studying/caring at all about a test, so I was lucky I did well. After digging my car out and taking a few pictures, we started hearing some cracking noises and watched the tree next to our building basically explode and a huge chunk of it fell off. Come to find out, our whole street was full of tree limbs that couldn't take the weight of the snow, so I was lucky I could get out.





It was so beautiful and peaceful outside that morning. Nevertheless, in true Texas form, the weather warmed up the next day and the snow only lasted another day. We saw it at least twice more to lesser extents over the next few weeks. I wonder what the summer weather will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers